Why Prepare for Doomsday Survival?
Doomsday survival can certainly mean different things to different people. Some have a bunker mentality and others ignore it.
Are you getting ready with basic supplies or long term survival?
These people are planning for the power going out for a few hours or maybe a day. They tend to believe that major disaster don’t happen and that their government will be coming to the rescue if things really get bad.
Doomsday survival to this group is about making themselves comfortable for a day or two when a big storm knocks down a few power lines. This is less about surviving disaster and more about being sure you have your favorite snack when the lights go out.
By the way, I believe of all the “preppers” out there, this group accounts for 50-60%.
The next group we have are those preppers that have convinced themselves that they need to have a plan for survival when the SHTF. They are certain that we will see a major disaster whether it be natural, economic or otherwise
The preppers in this group will be ready when disaster strikes and will likely be able to keep their families safe. I think this group makes up 30-40% of preppers out there.
Now to everyone’s favorite preppers.
Taking doomsday prepping to a completely new level, these people are prepared to survive the most disastrous of scenarios. Some call them extreme preppers but they certainly think of themselves as just preparing for the inevitable.
They have a plan for any SHTF scenario and believe they will be able to adapt to the unexpected. While the previous group prepares for a disaster with one plan, these folks have multiple plans and backups to those to assure their survival.
This final extreme group makes up 10-15% of the doomsday preppers.
How do these various classifications of doomsday preppers prepare themselves? What specifically do they do to survive whatever they believe will befall the earth?
Let’s dive into the diverse styles of true doomsday prepping.
It would likely be a very short-sighted plan for just getting through a few days. While this is not doomsday prepping as defined by most preppers, it is a start. Hopefully, these people will read up on what is truly need for surviving disaster.
Prepping for a major disaster is what the “Ready For Almost Anything” group is all about. Some of the doomsday prepping plans and provisions this group has made is as follows:
- Not only storing water but having a rain catching or other water filtration system for purifying and replenishing the water supply.
- A several month supply of food of various types focusing on nutrition. In addition, a system of growing additional food utilize their land.
- At least one good sized generator with a supply of gasoline and oil. Several extension cords as well as utility lights.
- Various medications including any prescription meds necessary. Plenty of bandages and ointments.
- Extra clothing and footwear for all types of weather. Not talking fashion here, just practicality.
- Cooking equipment with a method of fire starting (and containing).
- Various tools for cutting, building, maintaining and repairing.
- Multiple flashlights with extra batteries and bulbs.
- Candles, lamps, or lanterns with multiple sets of matches and other fire starting supplies.
- Weapons for defense such as firearms, knives or blunt objects. This includes storage of ammunition.
- Most plan to bug-in so they outfit their homes with upgraded home defense systems and measures.
- Cash, gold, silver, foreign currency and other items to barter with in the event of an emergency.
There are other items we could include here but some of those fit better with the next class of doomsday survival prepper.